Tuesday, August 18, 2009

More About Rest



I like this subject. In the Hebrew, the root word for rest (raphah) is heal. Hmmm. Ponder that for a while.

I watch Joseph Prince on TV and recently he spoke about rest. He points out from Hebrews 4 the reason we don’t rest is because of unbelief. We don’t believe that Jesus’ work on the cross is finished (i.e. I WAS healed). My pastor, Bill Sullivan, says in the present tense, to rest means to allow God to accomplish His task. The work is done. We are waiting for the manifestation. Sometimes we are waiting a long time. What we don’t realize is that rest is a powerful weapon against the enemy. It defeats anxiety, restlessness and unbelief.

In the Old Testament, the priests were clothed in linen so they would not sweat (ceasing from their dead works).

Even as I write this I am being tested in this area. Resting is not easy for me because I am a “fixer”. It’s my choice. Do I rest in His character and His faithfulness that I have experienced? Or do I fret, worry, plan and manipulate in unbelief?

We are called “believers” for a reason. We must believe God.

0 comments: