Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Contentment


We’ve all heard the saying, “Bloom where you’re planted.” I’m not sure I like it. Sometimes it can be very hard to be content where I am. I am always looking for the next big event or change to happen.

When I was single, I wanted to be married. When my girls were babies, I couldn’t wait for them to talk. I couldn’t wait to own my own home. Now I look forward to retirement and selling that home I wanted so much. Why can’t I be happy just the way things are? It’s the human condition, I suppose. The flesh is never satisfied.

Speculations on the future are usually a waste of time and end in frustration. God’s ways are not our ways and His thoughts are not our thoughts. Actually, His are so much better. If we put our hand in His and walk with Him instead of running every which way like a toddler, where we end up is way better than if we chose our own path. I’m not just talking about heaven, here, but here and now. I love the way the Message puts James 1:2 “So don’t try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well developed…” This reminds me of the old butterfly story. If you help a struggling butterfly out of its cocoon too early, it won’t be able to fly. The struggle helps exercise its wings to be functional.

“Trust God from the bottom of your heart and don’t try to figure out everything on your own. Listen for God’s voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He’s the One who will keep you on track(Message Proverbs 3:5, 6)."

0 comments: