Sunday, January 10, 2010

Love Your Enemies


Say what? I think this is definitely one of the hardest sayings in the New Testament. Doesn’t seem so bad if you get along with everyone. But God usually allows at least one enemy per lifetime to show us this principle.

I’ve had three in 40 years and God’s word is always the same. It really doesn’t even matter how bad they are to us (I’m not talking abusive husbands here) but mean mother –in- laws, betrayals, biting bosses… you get my drift.

So… we’re to love them, do good to them, pray for them, forgive them; with God’s power, of course. Jesus was our perfect example. He says if we do these things, it will heap of coals of fire upon their heads. What I think this means is that we are not the Holy Spirit and cannot make them act better. But if we do our part, then vengeance is the Lord’s and He will repay. He will prepare a table for us right smack dab in the middle of our enemies. We wrestle not against humans anyway, just the devil and his demons as they work through humans.

I love how Paul sums it all up in Romans 12:21, "Don't be overcome with evil, but overcome evil with good."

0 comments: